If you spot cockroaches inside your home, the first thing you would obviously do is to reach out for a strong bug spray. However, prior to doing so, you need to relax and think through the whole situation. Even though pesticides are more likely to eliminate the unwanted visitors infesting your house, they are equally harmful to your family as well. Children are even more susceptible to the harmful effects of pesticides. This can be attributed to the fact that their immune systems and their bodies are still growing. Furthermore, if you kids crawl, then they could easily get exposed to the harmful pesticides as they crawl on the floor.
Nevertheless, household pests are equally dangerous to your family members if you allow them to thrive in your home. For instance, cockroaches release an allergen that is capable of triggering asthma and other numerous allergies. The same applies to mouse droppings too. Luckily, there are some best kept secrets of pest control that will enable you to keep everyone in your home safe. You simply need to follow a proper pest management approach that additionally benefits the environment as well. Continue reading to find out some secrets you can apply in order to get rid of pests in your home.
The very first step is to carry out prevention measures. The most effective way of controlling pests entails making your home unpleasant for them. Pests generally need food, water, and shelter as this makes it easier for them to thrive. Therefore, if they are not able to access these components inside your home, chances are high that they will relocate and move elsewhere. To discourage annoying pests from setting camp in your home, apply the steps below:
– All crumbs and spilled food should be picked immediately to prevent pests from eating them.
– Make sure tables, counters, and floors are kept clean at all times. Also, clean dishes immediately after they have been used.
– Clean underneath the kitchen appliances like the stoves and refrigerators. Food debris tends to collect in the spaces below the appliances and this could attract annoying pests.
– All food items should be stored in containers that have tight lids. You can also store the food in your refrigerator. However, if you choose to store food in card boxes, for instance, ensure the boxes are tightly sealed.
– Trash should also be kept away inside a sealed container, and make sure it is emptied frequently. Outdoor trash bins, on the other hand, should be kept far away from the home.
-Repair all household leaks then dry up all excess moisture that develops on sinks or counters. Cockroaches love water and they can easily swim.
– Make sure clutter is not anywhere in your home. Piles of newspapers, boxes and magazines usually attract pests and offer them an excellent hiding place.
– Vacuum carpets on a regular basis. The same applies to crevices and cracks.
– Pet food should also not be left overnight.
– Screens with holes should be fixed as soon as possible as this prevents pests from finding their way inside them.
Examine your and check that there are no cracks or openings that could easily allow pests to access your home. Some of the best places to look are behind sinks, around windows, and along baseboards. Seal all present openings.
– If you are experiencing carpenter ant infestation, look for wet or damaged wood and carry out the necessary replacement procedures. Carpenter ants love damaged wood.
Furthermore, it is a good idea to examine the foundation of your house. Check and make sure there are no openings. If you find any, seal them especially if they are very large.
How To Choose A Pesticide
If you have tried the pest control preventive measures listed above and you are still experiencing pest infestation, you may find it necessary to use a pesticide for treating the affected areas. However, before you use any type of pesticide, it is important that you find out the type of pest you are trying to get rid of. For instance, if you do not know whether or not you are dealing with termites or carpenter ants, you can get help from a professional who is capable of identifying the specific pest. The services of an exterminator will really come in handy in such a situation.
Once you know the type of annoying pests infesting your home, it will be easier for you to choose the ideal pesticide capable of resolving the problem. Next, consider a pesticide that will not expose your family to harmful ingredients. Hazardous ingredients are harmful to the health of your family members. One of the best ways of dealing with the situation is to set up bait traps. These are tiny plastic cups. Insecticide is then mixed together with the food to create a lethal concoction for the pests.
The use of bait traps is recommended especially if you would like to ensure insecticide is confined to a small space. Despite this, you still need to make sure that your kids and pets cannot reach the traps. If you are a resident of Singapore, then you can easily purchase tamper-proof traps that offer significantly lower risk to pesticide exposure.
Pest Control: Play It Safe
If you prefer to use a different type of pesticide, then you might want to keep the following aspects in mind:
– Make sure the pesticide you choose can work on the pests infesting your home.
– Make it a habit of reading the label prior to using a pesticide. Also, follow all directions prescribed. Do not use a pesticide more than the manufacturers have indicated.
It may not be possible to completely eliminate pests camping in your home no matter the insecticide you use. Also, the strongest varieties of pesticides will cease to work after a while if pests are still accessing your water and food inside your home. However, if you apply the best kept secrets of pest control outlined above, then all will be fine. Pest control experts also come in handy in case of infestation.